It’s that time of year when there are lists galore, and here is yet another one for you. Our good friends at Farce The Music recently posted their most popular posts of the year, and I thought I’d steal their idea follow their lead. So, for your reading pleasure, here are the top 25 most popular articles on FTCR in 2015, tabulated on December 4.
- Country-Rap Collaborations In The Modern Age: The Remix
Published Aug 11, 2014
Some articles explode for a brief time, others pick up a few views every single day from web searches and eventually become traffic tower-blocks. This was the latter – to this day I still have no idea why.
- Little Big Town’s ‘Girl Crush’, And The Close-Minded Complaints That Have Forced It Into Low Rotation
Published Mar 21, 2015
Who doesn’t love a big overblown controversy, huh? I’ll spare you the details of this one, but suffice to say for a moment or two we were at the center of an accidental shitstorm.
- Little Big Town ‘Girl Crush’ – Single Review
Published Dec 19, 2014
Well, given the popularity of the post above, it seemed a given that this one would also pick up some traffic. Or a lot of it.
- Which Country Artists Publicly Support Gay Rights?
Published Aug 11, 2014
This was another slow burner, thanks to Google searches. I guess it’s something a lot of people want to know these days.
- Camaron Ochs keeps it country with rootsy, organic debut – Review
Published Feb 12, 2014
Back in February 2014, long before Cam was signed to Arista Nashville, she was an independent artist who released a free EP on her website (it wasn’t the EP that was eventually released this year). Our smart writer Shannon found it and reviewed it, and ever since Cam’s breakout everyone’s been reading it.
- VIDEO PREMIERE: Kelby Costner ‘My Grandpaw’
Published May 31, 2015
I guess this guy has a hell of a lot of fans.
- In The Hands of The Fans – February 2015
Published Feb 14, 2015
I work with a number of online A&R platforms as a way of getting submissions, and from time to time I put 4 or so submissions together in a feature where readers get to vote on who they want to read more on. This was a particularly popular instalment of the series.
- Why Keith Urban Is No Sell-Out On Debut of New Song ‘John 3:16’ At CRS
Published Feb 27, 2015
Once again, Shannon was on the ball. She heard Keith Urban debut ‘John Cougar John Deere John 3:16’ acoustically at CRS and decided to review it. Sure enough, a few months later it became his next single, and his fastest rising to date. Hello traffic.
- Introducing Mandy McMillan: The Newest Canadian Songstress To Stake A Claim In Nashville
Published Jan 22, 2015
Girl has fans.
- Jason Isbell Opens Up To Elizabeth Cook On Writing, Parenting, ‘Something More Than Free’ & ‘The Jason And Amanda Diaper Fund’
Published Jul 29, 2015
Steve does regular recaps of SiriusXM’s The Buddy & Jim Show, and Jason Isbell’s amazing year helped make this the most popular one.
- Luke Bryan ‘Play It Again’ – Single Review
Published Feb 26, 2014
This was a huge song in 2014, and thus a very popular review. Thank you Google.
- When Sad Songs Say So Much: Lydia Loveless On Life And Death, Her Next Album And New Film – Interview
Published Jul 12, 2015
Steve is a huge fan of Lydia Loveless and loved doing this candid interview with her. Looks like her fans loved it too!
- Carrie Underwood ‘Storyteller’ – Album Review
Published Oct 19, 2015
If our site hadn’t been hacked the day before this album came out, I have a feeling this review would have been higher up the list. Still, Carrie fans are devoted fans.
- Blake Shelton ‘Sangria’ – Single Review
Published Apr 10, 2015
Again, a big song equals big traffic. This wasn’t the biggest song of the summer, but it was one of the most searched for.
- LISTEN: Chloe Chadwick ‘Settle My Heart’
Published Mar 22, 2015
Chloe has a lot of fans too, and this has been a slow burner all year.
- Kira Isabella’s New Single ‘Quarterback’ Is A Harrowing Tale of Date Rape
Published Apr 17, 2014
This was one of our most popular posts in 2014, and it returns to the list in 2015 too. That song really moved people, and Jason (a former FTCR writer) was smart enough to write about it early on.
- Introducing Brittany Ray – Potential Star of 2015?
Published Jan 21, 2015
She didn’t exactly crack the mainstream, but she has a lot of fans who were willing to read Andy’s profile on her this year.
- Cartoon Network’s Mini-Series ‘Over The Garden Wall’ To Feature Old-Time American Music
Published Nov 3, 2014
This was just a press release, but clearly a lot of people loved the series and wanted to find out more.
- Stella Parton (Dolly’s Sister) Is Having A Meltdown
Published Feb 27, 2014
Stella Parton has exhibited some odd behavior over the years, from bitterly denouncing her sister in interviews to looking for attention online via her involvement in the Coat of Many Colors movie. However, this is probably the weirdest thing she’s ever done.
- Shane McAnally On Songwriting, Kacey Musgraves, Country Radio And Gay Country Artists – Interview
Published Apr 30, 2014
This is probably one of my favorite interviews I’ve ever done. Shane was so open and thoughtful in his responses, and he’s genuinely one of the nicest guys you’ll meet. I’m glad people loved this write-up for two years running.
- VIDEO: Kaitlyn Baker ‘Coal Train’
Published Dec 14, 2014
With a budding career and plenty of fans, lots of people jumped on board Kaitlyn’s coal train this year (I’m sorry).
- Dear Country Radio: Here’s My Two Cents And A Few Home Truths
Published Jun 1, 2015
Many of FTCR’s writers had responses to the controversy known as SaladGate, but to the joy of my own ego, it was my own that got the most hits. That was thanks in part to a retweet from Martina McBride herself, after she got involved in the debate by selling ‘tomato’ t-shirts (I bought one because duh).
- Cam ‘Burning House’ – Single Review
Published Jul 6, 2015
Arguably one of the biggest breakouts of the year, ‘Burning House’ is inching ever closer to #1 as Cam prepares to release her debut album ‘Untamed’. Luckily for us, Liz’s single review has been absorbing a bunch of demand.
- Paul Brandt ‘Nothing’ – Single Review
Published Mar 3, 2015
Paul Brandt may be a relatively unknown name in the US (aside from a couple of minor 90’s hits), but he has a huge Canadian audience and they lapped up Shannon’s review of his latest single.
- Chris Janson ‘Buy Me A Boat’ – Single Review
Published Apr 11, 2015
The other big breakout star this year, Chris Janson’s ‘Buy Me A Boat’ went on to become a #1 hit and his resulting album fared pretty well too.